Melissa was kind enough to work on the Grits and Cheese Biscuits Recipe! I’m going to try her recipe this weekend! Thanks, Melissa!
Recipe for Grits and Cheese Biscuits
Makes 16 miniature biscuits
- 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup quick cooking grits, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons flax meal (finely ground flax seed)
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted organic butter
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon fat-free organic milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted organic butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Combine the flour, grits, baking powder, flax meal, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Stir in cheese. Add milk, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Shape dough to form a ball. Roll out dough to form 8-inch square.
- Cut dough into four 1-inch wide strips; cut each strip crosswise into 4 pieces.
- Place biscuits about 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until golden brown, brushing biscuits with melted butter and garlic 2-3 times during baking.